Myott, Son & Co. Ltd. operated originally from the Alexander Pottery in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, in the North of England. It was a family run business producing earthenware from 1898. Run by two brothers, Ashley and Sydney Myott, the company soon had to expand to meet growing demand. They moved to the Brownfield’s Works in Cobridge, just North of Stoke-on-Trent and then extended the operation to the adjacent Upper Hanley Pottery in 1925.
With the growing success of competitor output, the company began to produce hand painted Art Deco wares, popularised by their varied ranges of vases and jugs. Many of these pieces survive today suggesting that output was extensive. Geometric shapes such as the fan and pyramid vase are highly sought after with brown and orange the predominant colours used in decoration. There were also a number of collaborations in the 1930,s, most notably with Goldscheider (an Austrian figure and wall mask producer) and B.A.G Co. Ltd (British American Glass). These Deco pieces display the famous gold Myott crown mark on the base. White ware was produced for the Cunard shipping company with the provision of cubist style tea sets.
There was a fire at the factory in 1949 in which many of the office files were destroyed including vital pattern information.
The company relocated again after 1949 to the larger Crane Street Pottery in Hanley and in 1969 were taken over by an American corporation Interpace. 1976 saw the company merge with Alfred Meakin Limited. The name was then lost after the company was taken over by the Churchill Group.